There I am.
- Sitting on the couch watching NHL playoff hockey at the end of a long day.
- The wife offers me some of her potato chips.
- I decline
I’m a personal trainer dammit, and personal trainers don’t eat potato chips.
Fast forward 20 minutes…..
I am now sprawled out on the couch…..totally immersed in the game…..screaming at the referees for blowing another call….and absent mindedly reaching over and grabbing a handful of potato chips out of the bag…and then another…and then another
WTF!!! What just happened?
I don’t eat potato chips….seriously. So what happened? Where did my will power go?
I’ll tell you what happened.
- When my wife first offered the chips, my conscious mind did a quick pro/con calculation and decided to take a pass on the salty/greasy delight.
- Soon after, my conscious mind became fixated on the hockey game.
- Soon after that, my unconscious mind snuck behind the back of my conscious mind, and by using a mixture of sensory inputs, old memories, emotions, brain chemicals and hormones, managed to hijack my body and convince it that eating those chips was suddenly a great idea.
Damn you unconscious mind!!!.
- This is a big reason why diets fail.
- Your bad habits live in your unconscious mind.
- Your bad habits have built up powerful connections within your mind and body.
And if you let your unconscious mind run the show, you WILL return time and again to your old habits…your over-eating, under-exercising, making you fat kind of bad habits…
Like this article?
Subscribe to @healthhabits and my friends at Mail Chimp will make sure that every time I scribble an article for @healthhabits, it will end up in your email inbox.
In addition to the articles, I will be writing a series of Special Reports this year exclusively for @healthhabits subscribers.
Subscribe now and make sure you don’t miss out.