- HIIT workouts are great for fat loss
- HIIT workouts save your time
- HIIT workouts are way more fun than slogging away the miles on a treadmill
- HIIT workouts make you fitter faster
But…they sometimes scare the crap out of newbies….who wonder if such high intensity workouts are going to cause their de-conditioned hearts to explode inside their chest cavities.
And since I am not a cutting-edge cardiologist, I find it best to check with the experts before shooting my mouth off about the awesomeness of HIIT.
Luckily for us, some of the big brains at the Montreal Heart Institute have just published another study extolling the virtues of HIIT workouts for the rehabilitation of their patients with heart failure and reduced ejection fraction.
In this study, they compared the circulatory (hemodynamic) respones to:
- a 8 min HIIT workout
- 22 minute moderate-intensity continuous exercise (aka cardio) style of workout
- The HIIT workout was well tolerated by the test subjects and produced no significant ventricular arrhythmias and (or) abnormal blood pressure responses
- Compared with the cardio workout, the HIIT workout produced a similar circulatory response (blood pressure, stroke volume, etc) to the cardio workout
- Both workouts also produced similar C(a-v)O2 responses. This is a measurement of how much oxygen is absorbed from the arteries into the rest of the body.
HIIT may be an efficient exercise training modality in patients with heart failure and reduced ejection fraction.
What does this mean to you?
If the leading edge cardio researchers are looking at HIIT as an effective treatment for HEART DISEASE patients, then it might just be good for you too.
- Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism
- Cleveland Clinic – info on heart failure
- HIIT is better than Cardio for your Heart
- HIIT is Better than Cardio
- 10 more reasons to love High Intensity Interval Training
- HIIT is your best choice for burning off Belly Fat
- HIIT Training: The Cure for Insulin Resistance, Type 2 Diabetes, Metabolic Disease and Obesity?
- HIIT Kicks Cardio’s Butt