America…like other countries… is getting fatter day after day after day. And if you listen to the mainstream media / medical “experts”, most will tell you that it’s all about Calories in vs Calories Out. A small minority will reference the power of insulin while some obesity-apologists will blame their DNA.
So, I raise the question….Is there a one size fits all cause and/or cure for obesity?
Or are there a whole bunch of factors coming together to create America’s obesity epidemic?
To aid in the discussion, I have put together a partial list of the factors that I think influence human obesity.
45 Unique Causes of Obesity
- Quantity of food – Calories
- Quantity of food – Volume
- Type and Quality of food – Macronutrients – Carbs, Fat, Protein
- Type and Quality of food – Micronutrients – Vitamins, Minerals, Enzymes, Phytochemicals, etc…
- Type and Quality of food – Nutrient Density v.s Caloric Density
- Origin of food – Soil, Air & Water Quality
- Origin of food – Factory farms, fertilizers, pesticides, hormones, steroids, antibiotics, etc…
- Origin of food – Nutrient depletion due to travel time, premature harvest, preserving chemicals, etc…
- Origin of food – Additives – flavor enhancers (MSG), added color, added flavor, added moisture, etc…
- Origin of food – Industrial processes driven solely by profit – (see melamine)
- Convenience food vs Real food
- Digestion of food
- Absorbtion of food
- When you eat your meals
- How long between meals
- How much you eat at different meals
- What you eat at different times of the day
- Your beliefs and emotions regarding food – food as pleasure, food as fuel
- Dining habits – eat on the run vs sit down dinner
Next Page – Your Body…
Like this article???
If you like this article, don’t forget to subscribe to @healthhabits. When you subscribe, my friends at MailChimp will make sure to send you an email every time I post something new here at the blog.
As well, you also get access to the series of Supplement Reports that I am publishing this year.