Every day I go to the gym and I see the same people doing the same workouts.
- Runners get on a treadmill and run
- Yoginis perform their poses
- Bodybuilders squeeze & flex their muscles
- Powerlifters lift heavy stuff
- Aerobicizers attend their group fitness classes
- And the dude at my gym who wears Adidas soccer shorts from 1978 stretches out his hamstrings threatening to dislodge his “fellas” from their cotton prison (the horror…the horror)
And while all of these activities are laudable and are infinitely better for you than sitting on the couch eating chips and watching reality tv, they all have their limitations. And since it is a new year, I thought it was the perfect time to outline 10 ways to workout smarter…achieving better results, in less time, with fewer aches & pains.
Tip # 1 – High Intensity Interval Training aka HIIT
There is an ever growing body of evidence showing that HIIT workouts are superior to traditional cardio training in almost every conceivable way.
- Less time required per workout – I never, ever perform more than 20 min on a HIIT workout
- Reduced chance of overuse injuries – just ask a runner about their aches & pains
- Faster & greater improvements to the cardio-vascular system
- Increased fat loss due to increased levels of EPOC (Excess post-exercise oxygen consumption)
- Increased total body strength
To recap, HIIT takes up less of your time, is easier on your body, is better at improving the function of your heart & lungs and will help make you stronger and leaner more efficiently than cardio training. Sounds pretty smart to me.
Here are a bunch of articles I have written on HIIT to get you started:
- More Proof – HIIT Better than Cardio
- Live longer and better with HIIT
- HIIT is Best for Burning Belly Fat
- Stop Heart Disease with HIIT?
- HIIT Training: The Cure for Type 2 Diabetes and Obesity?
- HIIT turns Fat Men into Fit Men
- HIIT is better than Cardio for your Heart
- 4 Steps to a Great HIIT Workout
Next Page : Movements not Muscles…