In all my years as a personal trainer, I have uncovered a few common truths.
One of those truths is that men & women don’t diet the same way.
To test this observation, I conducted an experiment with a few of my male clients on what may just be the Ultimate Guys Diet.
Combining my version of the Paleo Diet with Martin Berkhan’s Lean Gains version of Intermittent Fasting, I watched four of my male clients/guinea pigs drop a bunch of body-fat without hearing any of the typical “I hate dieting” bitching and whining.
Here’s what they did.
- From waking up until 1 or 2:00 p.m., they ate nothing except for one coffee (no sugar) and/or a green food drink sweetened with stevia.
- They also supplemented their diet with branched chain amino acids (BCAA) throughout the morning – dose dependent upon bodyweight.
- Between 1:00 and 4:00 p.m., they ate a meal of salad greens, protein (steak, chicken, fish, eggs), balsamic vinegar and some version of healthy oil.
Note – some of my guinea pigs worked out in the afternoon while others in the evening. This would impact when their second meal of the day was consumed. If they worked out in the afternoon, we increased the size of their lunch. If they worked out in the evening, we increased the size of their dinner.
- 20 minutes prior to their workout, they took another dose of BCAAs.
- Dinner was consumed between 6:00 and 8:00 pm depending upon the workout schedule with the goal being to eat dinner as soon after working out as possible.
- Dinner consisted of more protein and either more salad or a plateful of sauteed/grilled vegetables. Everyone’s barbecue got a lot of work during this experiment.
- No solid food was eaten after 8:00 pm.
- Between 8:00 p.m. and bedtime, they were only allowed unsweetened, calorie free beverages.
- Before bed, another dose of BCAAs and a few other supps were taken.
And as I mentioned previously, the end result was fairly significant fat loss without any noticeable bitching, moaning or muscle loss.
Another Intermittent Fasting method that you may want to take a look at is the one by Brad Pilon – Eat Stop Eat.
While I am not a big fan of his style of web marketing, his book is the best available for explaining the whys & how-tos of Intermittent Fasting.