Well, according to some new research, brown fat may just turn out to be a very powerful tool in the fight against obesity and type 2 diabetes.
And while I have written previously about the potential fat-melting benefits of brown fat, this latest research:
- has determined that brown fat does survive our evolution from babies to adults,
- has pinpointed where those hard to find stores of brown fat are located on our bodies, and
- has found that your adult brown fat is metabolically active.
And before you say….So What?
Why is this important?
It’s important because, up until now, the general consensus was that brown fat existed only in humans during childhood and that it disappeared as we grew into adulthood.
For obesity researchers, this is huge.
Now, instead of:
- trying to discover the new-est and best-est drug to kill your appetite
- or to speed up your metabolism (without frying your heart – fen-phen),
- they can look for ways to turn up the re-activate your heat generating / fat burning brown fat.
And they may be closer than you think.
Joslin Diabetes Center researchers are looking at a protein called BMP-7 that they think can promote the development of brown fat.
Check out this post for more info on BMP-7.
- Scientists discover how to create “anti-obesity” brown fat
- The latest in weight loss research: Cryotherapy
- Why Do I Crave Carbs?
- Diet Pills Suck!!!
- Eat what you want and never gain a pound!