HIIT training is AWESOME!!!
Researchers from Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, Scotland have concluded that:
The efficacy of a high intensity exercise protocol, involving only 250 kcal of work each week, to substantially improve insulin action in young sedentary subjects is remarkable.
This novel time-efficient training paradigm can be used as a strategy to reduce metabolic risk factors in young and middle aged sedentary populations who otherwise would not adhere to time consuming traditional aerobic exercise regimes.
And for those of you that don’t know, here are the risk factors of Metabolic Syndrome that HIIT training is so effective at reducing:
- Abdominal obesity (excessive fat tissue in and around the abdomen)
- Atherogenic dyslipidemia (blood fat disorders — high triglycerides, low HDL cholesterol and high LDL cholesterol — that foster plaque buildups in artery walls)
- Elevated blood pressure
- Insulin resistance or glucose intolerance (the body can’t properly use insulin or blood sugar)
- Prothrombotic state (e.g., high fibrinogen or plasminogen activator inhibitor–1 in the blood)
- Proinflammatory state (e.g., elevated C-reactive protein in the blood)
People with the metabolic syndrome are at increased risk of coronary heart disease and other diseases related to plaque buildups in artery walls (e.g., stroke and peripheral vascular disease) and type 2 diabetes.
It’s estimated that over 50 million Americans have it.
And I am 100% sure that you don’t want it.
So, what do you need to do?
- Go to your doctor and get checked out – Max intensity sprints combined with a sky high B.P. is just asking for trouble.
- Go through my HIIT resources
- Find an exercise bike, set of stairs, outdoor track or even a carpeted area in your home to do burpees
- Schedule 3 x 15 minute HIIT workouts per week
- Get HIITing
And I am serious about the doctor. I don’t mean to sound like your mother, but a visit to your doctor at least once a year for a check-up is a very, very, very good idea.
If you like what you see here, click here for updates
- Tabata Workouts WILL Cause Fat Loss
- Tabata Training 101
- HIIT: The Aerobic version
- 4 Steps to a Great HIIT Workout