In my 19+ years as a personal trainer, most of my clients came to me to help them lose weight.
More specifically, my job was to help them melt the body-fat that encased their soon-to-be fit bodies.
While I can’t be there with you to design and monitor your workouts, I can give you my 5 step meal plan that EVERY successful client of mine followed to melt away their body-fat.
STEP 1 – Fruit for breakfast. Every day.
- Fresh fruit in season.
- Frozen fruit left to thaw in the fridge overnight during the rest of the year.
|Food||Serving size||Antioxidant capacity per serving size|
|Cinnamon, ground||100 grams||267,536|
|Aronia black chokeberry (Aronia melanocarpa)||100 grams||16062|
|Small Red Bean||½ cup dried beans||13727|
|Wild blueberry||1 cup||13427|
|Red kidney bean||½ cup dried beans||13259|
|Pinto bean||½ cup||11864|
|Blueberry||1 cup (cultivated berries)||9019|
|Cranberry||1 cup (whole berries)||8983|
|Artichoke hearts||1 cup, cooked||7904|
|Blackberry||1 cup (cultivated berries)||7701|
|Red Delicious apple||1 apple||5900|
|Granny Smith apple||1 apple||5381|
|Sweet cherry||1 cup||4873|
|Black plum||1 plum||4844|
|Russet potato||1, cooked||4649|
|Black bean||½ cup dried beans||4181|
|Gala apple||1 apple||3903|
STEP 2 – Replace Lunch-time Sandwiches with Lettuce Wraps
This might seem strange at first, but when you realize how much body-fat you will lose just by replacing 2 plain slices of bread with a single lettuce leaf ( 16 3/4 lbs. each and every year ), most people are willing to give it a try.
You can also replace your normal lunch with healthy soups, stews or salads.
STEP 3 – Replace your vending machine afternoon snack with spicy seeds and nuts
Here is a quick recipe that I borrowed from Julie B’s Hive
Nueces Y Pepitas Picantes (Spicy Nuts and Seeds)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 10 small garlic clove
- 1 1/2 cups raw peanuts
- 1 1/2 cups raw hulled green pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4-1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 275°.
- In a frying pan over medium-low heat, warm the oil. Add the garlic cloves and sauté until they begin to turn tan, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the nuts and seeds, coating them well with the oil. Add 1 teaspoon salt and the ground chile, just a pinch at a time, until the taste just tingles the tongue.
- Spread the nuts and seeds evenly on a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a bowl, sprinkle with more salt, if needed. Serve warm or at room temperature.
STEP 4 – Meat & Vegetables
Replace the typical North American dinner of fatty protein served over complex carbs covered in a sauce of saturated fat and washed down with a big glass of high fructose corn syrup based liquid with something straight out of Leave it to Beaver. Meat and vegetables.
The meat can be beef,pork,poultry,fish,tofu,etc… Make it healthy.
You are free to choose your own vegetables, but try not to load up on the potatoes. And no french fries or potato chips.
STEP 5 – Eat fish or supplement with fish oils.
Fish, especially fish loaded with Omega 3 fatty acids are too good for you to ignore. There is a lot of research showing that the Omega 3s help your body to burn body-fat more efficiently.
For all those moms to be out there, I recently posted an article about Omega 3 fatty acids and their positive effects on your child’s brain.
Note: Keep in mind that I am not a doctor or heart specialist or scientist devoted to promoting the benefits of Omega 3 fatty acids. However, I have read a lot of the research into Omega 3 fish oils. I have also seen them work all sorts of magic on my clients body-fat, allergies and creaky joints. In my personal opinion, I think they are a fantastic product to supplement your diet.
Here are a few tips:
- Supplement with fish oils that have been labeled Pharmaceutical Grade or Molecularly Distilled. Keep in mind that it is a little like the wild west out there with fish oil supplements. You may need to do a little research and even ask a few questions.
- The University of Guelph run International Fish Oil Standards tests fish oil supplements for their purity. Their website is here.
- I personally use the Ascenta brand Nutra-Sea fish oil. They were one of the first and have been tested by the U of G (passed). Here is a sample test report from their website.
Okay, there you go – 5 Steps to a Healthy – Fat Melting Meal Plan